Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Law School of Today

    To make law students guilty whenever we fail to read the materials assigned for the day, our old professors usually tell us about how they, when they were still students, have to directly go to the library after class just to be able to borrow the reading materials assigned to them, as there were only few copies available in the library. Scarce supplies = higher demand. But now, with photocopiers and improved printing techniques, they say we don't have an excuse to fail reading whatever they have assigned to us - even if it's unbearably long.
    Professors, wise and logical as they usually are, are somehow correct. With the improvements in technology today available to students, it really is embarrassing when one is not ready for class (but even without improvements in technology, it is embarrassing. Period.).
    If before, books are scarce and the students would scamper to the library, hoard books and whatnot, now the libraries are filled with several copies of books. Intellectual property rights aside, one can have the book photocopied and read it in the convenience of his own place. If one cannot go to the library, one can try looking for a copy on Googlebooks, and if he's lucky, the book can be previewed.
    If before, the students would need to go to big libraries or even abroad just to get a copy of journal articles and books written by other intellectuals foreign or local, now with the internet and e-libraries, one can easily browse and search what they need.
    If before, to be able to ask for clarifications about topics left unclear, one should personally consult the professors in their rooms or even after class. Now, students have an additional option to consult professors and even other students through text, emails or even through instant messaging through YM or other social networking sites (try typing a question on your status message, you'll usually get replies from your contacts). Though the personal approach is still the best.
    For me, one of the best improvements in technology is with regards note-taking. Before, I used to buy notebooks and deal with pens which usually doesn't live to its last drop. Then the termites would eat my notes, or my notes would usually get wet and the ink would disappear in my notebooks whenever it gets wet (hello floods). Or if ever my notes do survive, I would not be able to locate it when I need it. So much for my efforts.
    Now, I could type my notes and save it on my computer. Microsoft Office now has One Note, a program which is virtually a notebook on your computer. You could arrange your notes by subject, by date, and however you want to arrange it. You can even select the color of your notebook. And the best thing about One Note is that your notes are saved as you type - as if you wrote on a real notebook.
    For added security blanket, aside from saving my notes on my laptop, I also upload my notes through my blog site. In this way, I could use the search bar to look for topics that were discussed but I can't remember when, or for cases that were already discussed before but I just can't recall. I also upload my reviewers in Scribbed. It's a website where e-books, notes, reviewers, papers, and other academic and nonacademic resources could be found. In this way, if ever my laptop crashes, or if ever I can't find where I saved my notes, I have the option of finding it on the net.
    For technology, everything is becoming possible. The only problem is, what if you don't have access to it.

No comments: