Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Reunited

Christmas season means parties, reunions, and get-togethers. After almost a decade, we had our high school reunion. And the usual question that I got during the evening was, “When will you graduate?”

We were 34 in class then and now, only three of us are still students. I was the only one who took up law and two are taking up medicine. The rest? They took up engineering or a computer-related course.

When I was deciding what course to take in college, my parents suggested that I take up computer science since it was “in demand” then. Indeed, almost everyone took it up and I must say, they are all doing well now. Most of my classmates are working in big companies, are being sent abroad and are very well-compensated. Now I wonder, did I make the right choice? Haha.

I remember the video the professors showed as at the beginning of the semester. It said that we are preparing students for jobs that don’t exist yet. I asked the computer geeks (as we teased them) how they’d become so good with computers. I asked if college taught them everything. They said that they only learned the basics in college and the rest was a matter of trial and error, experience, and lots of luck and patience. But of course I still think that they’re just geeks. Hehe.

Someone asked me before: “When you marry and have kids, will you encourage them to become lawyers?” I said I’d want them to become astronauts - because it's the coolest job on earth! And who knows, it might be the most in-demand job by then. :)

-Glaisa PO
(entry no. 6)

No comments: