Tuesday, December 8, 2009

"Howdini"

I remember when I was in Japan last August for a certain moot court competition. I was frantically dressing up because I usually sleep late, and therefore wake up late. After putting everything on (it was a formal event), I then realized that I didn't know how to put on a necktie. No matter late I was, I had to go and knock on the door of my teammate's room, fortunately on the same hotel floor, for him to tie my necktie.

Because of the idea that I am inept for the simple chore of tying my own necktie, I endeavored to learn how to do it upon arrival in the Philippines. Fortunately, there is the internet. After searching for a few minutes, I came across three variants on how to put on a necktie: the full windsor (allegedly named after the Duke of Windsor), half windsor (hopefully not named after only half of him) and the four in hand (I have no idea why). I was able to learn these from YouTube, which showed a clip sourced from the website www.howdini.com.

This just proves how useful the internet is. In addition to the information I gather for use in my studies, I have also used the internet to guide me in other things like how to plant an eggplant, how to cook tempura, and also how to finish some video games that I have already given up on because I was stuck on certain levels.

I now know how to tie a necktie. Even though I think the one I know how to do is still sucky, this made my life easier and will probably take less of my time during those moments I (usually) run late.

No comments: