Thursday, December 3, 2009

Third Entry: Buy One, Take All

According to the 13th Annual Webby awards, the emergence of smartphones was among the 10 most influential moments of the internet. Today, these phones go from luxury to necessity since there are ready applications for almost every aspect of modern life- from texting, locating your whereabouts through GPS, surfing the net- you name it, the smartphone got it.

I’ve always wanted a smart phone. It took me almost three years to decide on buying one considering that every month something new comes out in the market. Then, last year I finally decided to buy my Omnia.

(It was a battle between Omnia and Sony Xperia. In the end, Omnia won because of the 5 megapixels camera, which turned out to be not so good as expected *sigh*)

It’s amazing how technology can piece together important functions in one gadget. Now, I do not have to bring my heavy books and big laptop to school, nor will I need to spend so much money on photocopying cases. My phone can store copies of laws and cases, which I can easily retrieve should the need arise during class recitations. I do not have to pay for computer use in the library because now, I can easily surf the internet using my phone. Neither is there a need for me to bring my bulky planner everywhere I go, as the calendar feature in my phone stores and reminds me of all my scheduled meetings, deadlines, to-do’s, exams, birthdays and whatnots. But wait, there’s more. My phone has a camera, Microsoft software, radio features, text converter, TV-out viewer and a host of other programs which I have no idea how to use or how they work. Indeed, with technology, everything now is at the touch of my fingertips.


(Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091119/od_nm/us_decade; http://images.intomobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/omnia-2.jpg)

No comments: