Thursday, December 10, 2009

I Will Follow Him: A Mild "Cyberstalker"'s Diary Entry

by Awi Mayuga (Fourth Entry)

I was fueled by A Perfect Circle on my third year in school. I love their songs so much that I littered my multiply account with anything connected to them: videos, lyrics... and blog posts that related the lyrics to my life. I even changed the sections to the lines off their songs.

The band is still on hiatus while they're attending to their individual creative pursuits. I must admit that I follow Maynard James Keenan's and Billy Howerdel's actions more closely than any of the other members'. So when I learned of MJK's and BH's twitter accounts, I couldn't contain my joy. I was presented with a legit way to "stalk" them -- to know of the updates from their own lips (or fingers, as is more apt). At first, I just religiously looked at their twitter pages; I couldn't bear to publicly follow them because I had this paranoid feeling that they'd block me if I do so. (Please read again: I said paranoid.) But when ASHES dIVIDE, BH's new musical incarnation, created their own twitter account, I gave in to the temptation and publicly followed all three accounts.


It was about a month or two after that I realized I had three new followers. I was pleasantly surprised -- an understatement, if ever there was one -- that ASHES dIVIDE, their bassist Matt McJunkins and drummer Jeff Friedl were following me! But that made me extra cautious not to post APC lyrics as tweets, because I didn't want any copyright infringement suits being sent my way. (Fair use, guys?)

I was more than eager to follow Matt and Jeff back. (Forgive me for taking the liberty of using their first names like we were friends.) Recent updates on ASHES dIVIDE's, Matt's and Jeff's twitter pages were all about Jeff being on DRUMHEAD magazine's November/December 2009 issue. Since there wasn't even a picture of Jeff on the magazine's web site, I gave up and went to his myspace profile instead. I ended up listening to his playlist, which includes songs from Puscifer, ASHES dIVIDE, and Shane Alexander. Of course, I'm familiar with the songs of Puscifer and ASHES dIVIDE, but Shane Alexander was a pleasant discovery. That sparked a flurry of web searches on "Shane Alexander". No Wikipedia entry yet, but he has a website and a Youtube channel (which I'll consume at a later date since I can't bear to tear my eardrums away from Jeff's playlist).

Now I'm contemplating on whether or not to send a friend request to Jeff on Facebook. Of course, in case he is kind enough to confirm my request, he can always set his profile so that a lot of its sections won't be accessible to me. (Incidentally, Facebook announced that it has improved its privacy settings. Go, Facebook?) But to a fan like me, being his Facebook friend is enough.

Thank you, social networks -- you've given international fans like me more hope of getting in touch with our favorite musicians.

1 comment:

Owen Ricalde said...

celeb stalking certainly made easier with twitter. grabe, when the ashton-cnn contest for the first twitter account to have 1M followers, that was the height of my twitter stalking moments. so many hollywood celebs are on twitter at it is so easy to follow them. they even volunteer minute-by-minute update on what they are doing.

but i remember some accounts are either hoax - hence some twitter accounts are dubbed TheRealsomething to emphasize that they are indeed who they are.

also some accounts are maintained by publicists as they know twitter as a medium is the easiest way to tell the fans what they want to know. great example of this is channing tatum.

but when i realized i was dedicating two hours per day just celeb stalking - even though i had on my firefox the tweetdeck plugin for easier viewing, i had to stop doing twitter.

i remember also how the iran elections and protests were all on twitter and they were communicating via twitter since they did not have any media coverage.

hmmm, let me check my twitter account nga. bigla ko tuloy na-miss ang twitter.