Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Space Law

For those not in the know (like me). There's actually a moot court competition for space law (The Manfred Lachs Space Law Moot Court Competition).

I found out about this during a conversation with my blockmate earlier today, who said that she wanted to do an SLR paper on space law.

I imagine the problems tackled each year concern the more practical (and reality-based) aspects of space law. But wouldn't it be nice to compete in a moot court that talks about "intergalactic laws" and the like? Yes, yes, I know this is far-fetched. After all, there are no aliens (or are there? hehe) and we still can't travel warp speed from one galaxy to the other, but with the technological developments the world is experiencing, I think it won't be long before we would have to include space law in our law school curriculum.




Billionaire Richard Branson's spaceship project, for example, is one of the technological developments that will surely change the legal landscape. His recent unveiling of SpaceShipTwo (and the space tourism it will probably bring with it) is, I believe, already starting a debate on how laws can effectively regulate space travel or space tourism. How much of space is really public domain and how much isn't? and how relevant is the Outer Space Treaty now that we might figure out a way on how to occupy celestial bodies soon?

I may be getting ahead of myself, but I sure hope I get to live up to the time space travel becomes as easy as commuting to Katipunan from UP. 

Aaron Jarveen Ho
(4th Entry)

Image from:
http://www.fly.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/space-tourism-image.jpg

No comments: