Sunday, December 6, 2009

IT's Christmas!

“People making lists.. buying special gifts.” This 1970 Jackson 5 song still holds true except that now, many blog about their wish lists, kids want the latest electronic gizmo and not a toy car nor a doll, friends send each other electronic greeting cards, and people buy gifts online and have them delivered to their loved ones.

The other day, I was in a bookstore and I observed that there were not so many cards displayed and there were only a few people who patronize them. I remember years ago when I was so excited to pick out the cutest design of Christmas cards for friends who deserve my warm greeting and even those who don’t (but just because they’ve given me a card and I didn’t want to be rude... Haha!) I did not mind the long queue, for me it was part of the Christmas spirit. Now, I know friends who pick out one card, type in multiple email addresses and voila! At the click of a mouse, they have done their duty towards fifty of their friends. But that’s just it.

One might think that technology is killing the Christmas spirit. I do not completely agree. True, everything is now convenient and easy. But it is sometimes expensive – I mean online shopping is more expensive compared to going to tiangge’s, bazaars, and mall-wide sales. Come on, what can beat Divisoria?

I’ve grown up around the area and every year, I know that Christmas is near when the traffic becomes a lot heavier because of people doing their Christmas shopping. It is amazing to see people going frantic about clothes, shoe and bag imitations priced at a hundred pesos. It is a wild place, I tell you. (I am sorry for the shaky video recording.. I was scared that someone might snatch my celfone from me. Haha.)

Technology cannot replace everything. Some things – like shopping in Divi – have been part of the Pinoy tradition that is hard to let go especially considering the financial difficulties that we are in. So for as long as people still exert time and effort to spread love and goodwill during this season, I know that the Christmas spirit is still alive.

Merry Christmas, everyone! :)

-Glaisa PO
(entry four)

No comments: