Thursday, December 10, 2009

missing ola client found through the internet


Rowena Ricalde (Fifth Entry)
Yesterday, I had my first hearing for OLA this semester. I reviewed the case file very meticulously and even prepared the Formal Offer of Documentary Evidence since we wanted to terminate the presentation of prosecution's testimonial evidence. I was super confident in my work (sadly enough, for the first time in OLA). However, I had one big blip - the client is missing.
After the rigorous calling through the teleophone all the contact numbers in the case file and sending out letters in the addresses found in the case file - I still could not locate the client. Then, I decided to do the drastic measure of looking for my client personally through their old address.
I googled the address for directions. After my hearing, I decided to visit the last address since I was in the vicinity of Mandaluyong. The client indeed moved out from their old house. I asked around and said that they had relatives in the other street. I remembered that the other street that they were talking about was the house of the aunt of the victim where the crime happened. I visited the aunt of the victim and the scene of the crime. She was so glad to see me (in my OLA attire and all) and gave the contact info of the OLA client. I was so proud of myself for finding our long lost client.
But when I got home, I realized, what if I google the name of the client? Or what if I search him on facebook? And true enough, I found him in the internet. Wow. If only I did that the first time around and saved me the trouble. So, lesson in OLA life, if you have a missing client, google the name first or search it in facebook. Nowadays, almost everybody is in facebook.

2 comments:

Melissa Ann Sicat said...

Owen, the internet has also been a big help for my OLA this sem. I was supposed to cross examine an NBI examiner. It turned out that the NBI examiner has been AWOL from NBI for years (and the RTC has been sending subpoenas to that person for several times already).
Guess where I found out that such person has been AWOL - I googled it!
So instead of fussing and worrying about what questions to ask during cross, I just studied for my JudRev class hehe. I'm glad there's google :)

Owen Ricalde said...

haha! i know! google is moi's solution to every problem :). just type your question or whatever and somehow may answer siya. i love you, google!