Thursday, December 3, 2009

Third Entry: Going Mainstream

As mentioned in class last week, a TED type event is being organized this Saturday, December 5 at our very own Malcolm Hall. This got me thinking how interest in technology is becoming more commonplace. The ordinary consumer is now some sort of geek.

I remember how difficult it was to teach my parents to text, much less to use a computer. It's surprising that nowadays they have their own facebook pages. I can only imagine what it would be like when I reach their age. Even now, the way my younger sister uses the computer and communicates with her friends is quite different from my time growing up. In a lot of ways, I'm envious.

Envious for a number of reasons but primarily because the growth of the internet has made it easier to find one's interest and to share this passion with others. I can't help but wonder what if I took a technology course in college. I'm definitely more interested in computers now than I ever was in political science. I guess that's one of the reasons why TED is so popular: it enables people to take part in another's dream, perspective, or experience.

No comments: