Thursday, December 10, 2009

Try hacking into his typewriter


I love the Road. It’s a novel written by American author, Cormac McCarthy. I love Cormac McCarthy. He churns out Pulitzer-worthy work using his old and faithful Olivetti typewriter. That typewriter, McCarthy has recently decided to auction off.

"Do typewriters hold the keys to fine writing?" The Guardian asks.

It appears that, aside from McCarthy, a number of writers like Don DeLillo and Frederick Forsyth remain married to old technology. DeLillo, for example, says that he likes to hear the clacking sound that his typewriter makes. Like a sculptor, he wields it as he shapes words and sentences. Interestingly, Forsyth likes his typewriter because of the sense of security it gives him. "I have never had an accident where I have pressed a button and accidentally sent seven chapters into cyberspace, never to be seen again," he points out. Also, no one has ever hacked into his typewriter.

I guess even old gadgets have their advantages.

If only I have the money, I would buy that Olivetti typewriter for Christmas.
_____
4th Entry
Ralph Vincent Catedral

No comments: