Sunday, September 13, 2009

Webwake, anyone?

Advances in telecommunication technology have allowed a lot of things to be done through the world wide web. About four years ago, Ateneo de Manila University started broadcasting its graduation via webcast. The purported objectives is to allow parents and loved ones who are physically unable to attend the graduation. At least through this medium, the far away loved one can share a special moment.

There are of course other occasions which can be broadcasted via the web. Two years ago, my high school batch held a reunion. Our classmates residing abroad requested that the proceedings be broadcasted live so that they can be a part of the celebrations. As some of the batchmates are tech-savvy, the request was given due course. I understand that a lot of our foreign based batchmates enjoyed watching the webcast.

Several months back, an aunt who has been a long time resident of the United States died. My cousins promptly advised me of her demise. I was not however prepared for the other half of the announcement. Imagine my surprise when my cousins informed me through the same e-mail announcement that her remains can be viewed through a webcast. Creepy…

We might be overdoing things here. Should I next expect an announcement regarding the birth of the child and be invited to join the celebration by actually watching the birth itself!

In any case, with regard my dearly departed aunt, I decided to silently decline the invitation. Instead, I said my prayers for her. I am the old fashion type, I would rather pay respect to the departed personally.

1 comment:

Robert Moraleda said...

We already have this here. St. Peter's Chapels is offering this service. I share your reactions and really find this a bit odd, but as is with the growth of technology, I won't be surprised that this will sooner than later be normal practice.

Whether that's good or bad is a different thing altogether.