Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Cyberwarfare at First Blush


In this post, I would like to say my first impression when I place “Cyberwarfare” side by side with “Philippines”. I truly do not think that this poses as great a threat to the Philippines as in the US. The way I see it, cyberwarfare is akin to the 1997 Asian financial crisis when it comes to its impact in the Philippines, i.e. minimal.

First, our cybersystems are not yet so wired and integrated that an attack on one would detriment the essential functions of the other. Many government websites are either not continuously updated or not linked with other websites. Most of them still have the bulk of their reports in paper-based forms.

Second, I do not see our government as a good target for cyberwarfare because we neither have vital top secret information nor formidable systems to bestow that big a bragging right to the terrorists. Except for domestic enemies, I still think that cyberwarfare in the country is not a near possibility.

Lastly, I do not think the Philippines or the Filipinos are still at that level of self-realization to wage cyberwarfare. Maybe the mastery the rules of the game in cyberspace is the more proximate reality. Cyberwarfare is just too far removed from our present state of affairs.

I know that my comments here are not flattering and may even look down on Filipinos and the Philippines. And I am sorry for such impression. My only point in this post is that the Philippines is neither ready nor capable of engaging in cyberwarfare yet.

~Michelle P. M. Sabitsana

No comments: