Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Facebook Free for 7 days

Last week, I made a bet with myself. If I manage to refrain from opening and checking my Facebook account for 7 whole days, I’ll reward myself by joining my barkada for a 3-day Tagaytay trip.

I thought it would be easy.

It was just a matter of not typing the website so as to avoid the temptation altogether.

Boy, I was wrong.

Scanning through the Top News section of my Facebook account was what I do, while enjoying my morning coffee. (Then, I read the newspaper. :D ) I looked forward in seeing what was happening with the lives of my friends within that 5-hour vacuum dedicated to sleep. But because of that bet, on the first day, I literally had to hide my iPhone under my pillow and pretend that there were more interesting things to do. I ended up watching CNN – only to catch the part of the report about Twitter viewers' responses. My desire to check FB was magnified in effect. Fortunately, I survived the first day without Facebooking. I submerged myself with NatGeo documentaries and CSI episodes as distractions. These shows made the succeeding days also bearable.

Now as I look back, I find this "Facebook-free diet" as a liberating experience. There was something about not caring with what’s going on with the world and instead, focusing on things that personally matter. It helped me regain focus and perspective.

Maybe I should do this every month. But for now, I’m logging in to Facebook. :)

No comments: