Thursday, September 23, 2010

Pen or Keyboard

These days, people no longer write, they type. Case in point: the only time I actually write, you know with a pen, is when I sign my name on the attendance sheet for our ICT class. I’ve pretty much retired the old pen and paper ever since I got a netbook early last year. Since then it’s been an ink-stain-and-callus-free existence. What can I say, the speed, ease, precision, and of course let’s not forget the spell-checking (oh the spell-checking!) seduced me to abandon writing by hand. There are many who would disagree with this assessment. Rather they view this whole evolution from writing longhand to typing as the devolution of the art of writing. Personally I find this whole debate of which-method-is-better utterly pointless. To each his own I always say. What works for one might not necessarily work for the other and far be it for anyone to suggest that one method is less than the other. Word of advice to the typewriters out there: Go back and forth between writing by hand and typing otherwise when you do find yourself in a situation where you’re forced to write with a pen, like I recently did when I sat down to take my banking midterms, you’ll end up with terrible penmanship and a throbbing hand.

No comments: