Friday, August 5, 2011

De-cluttering

My husband teases me as obsessive-compulsive because I try my best to keep things organized, like folding even laundry. It's just that, clutter bothers me. It's easier to find what is needed, when there's few clutter (not saying "no clutter" because there still is). In the past 6 years, it’s also my habit to list my expenses in an excel file. It helps me budget and streamline spending to meet what we need.

It's nice to know that even google has adapted a "cleaner" look as of July 2011.[1] There is a lot of products nowadays that help systematize stuff. Technological advances plays a big role too, such as how hard-drives replaced stacks of mass storage (laser discs, dvds, cds, video tapes, etc.) used before. Some people scanned their paper-based information to keep them in digital storage and disposed of the bulk of paper.[2] Even though we scanned my brother’s review books so that only a hard-drive will be sent to him to the US, I’m still not into digitizing the hard-copies I prefer to read. 

It's ironic, because it was my husband who introduced me to the website zenhabits, which proliferates the idea of living as a minimalist; not the extreme getting rid of everything we own, but just trying to minimize what we have to the basics that we need. The website clicked with me because I believe that if the house looks neat, and everything is clean and in its proper place, we get to focus more, and it's less stressful. I guess my mom's being super-scattered taught me why it's not good to be scattered, haha.

There's a post I've recently read regarding how a zenhabits blog writer began being a minimalist, that is when she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.[3] I've been trying to organize my stuff even years before I was diagnosed with slipped disc. Still, de-cluttering and simplifying our lifestyle helps my condition. Besides, with a baby that keeps grabbing and misplacing things, it's even more imperative to organize and de-clutter.


Entry # 7

No comments: