Thursday, February 25, 2010

All fussed up on FOSS (or something like it).

Awi Mayuga's ramblings below constitute her twelfth entry

I've always been a fan of open-source software, mostly because they're either freeware or shareware. They operate on the idea that if people believe in your product, such people would donate. If the product is a pretty good one, then they would get the necessary funding, and consequently the updates. And being open-source, anyone is free to improve the software, depending on the license.

My favorite source of such software is SourceForge.net. I'm still using FileZilla as my FTP client. Before I switched to utorrent, I alternated between azureus and ABC. (The reason for that is Azureus was Java dependent, and it was sluggish on one of my home computers which was running WinXP on just 128MB RAM... crazy, I know.) But it's such a shame that azureus now named Vuze has adware. (But I guess better adware than spyware, huh? It's just a teeny notch below, however.)

Other free stuff I use are irfanview (graphic viewer), Winamp, Avira, Comodo (for the firewall) and Firefox.

I've been wanting to run Ubuntu, but I'd probably use that once I have a new system -- when? when?! -- and I could use my current PC as just my secondary PC to test stuff. (But that's if it doesn't die on me first.)

One thing I want to install is Google Chrome, but since it doesn't load greasemonkey scripts yet (as far as I know), I'm refraining. Yes, being able to load my Castle Age script (to check on how much exp I need to level up, how many hours left on a particular monster, the works) correctly IS the dealbreaker.

No comments: