Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Gaming this year will be a fantasy

I was with some friends in my usual tambay place in the College last Friday when the conversation steered towards the topic of "secret gamers". Apparently, two of my female batchmates are secret gamers, or persons who generally don't tell others that they are into video games. One even claimed that she favored Night Elves.

I am no secret gamer. I openly tell people, of course based on the current topic of the conversation, that I love video gaming. If I were asked regarding a particular game I liked, i would say without any hesitation, "Final Fantasy". I have finished its first to twelfth main installments, adding in the fact that I am what is called a "completionist" in the RPG game lingo. Counting the spin-offs would be a different matter, and would complete my total to about sixteen games which range from sixty to about one hundred twenty hours each to finish.

The first installment of the Final Fantasy series premiered in Japan on December 18, 1987. This year, Square will release the fourteenth main installment of the series, Final Fantasy XIV. Technically, it's not really the fourteenth installment, as mentioned, because there are spin-offs like: Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy X-2, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and the much celebrated PSP releases Final Fantasy Dissidea and Final Fantasy Crisis Core. In addition, it isn't really a series, since each game tells a different story and a features different cast. You may have heard of the names Sephirot, Cloud, Zidane, Squall and Balthier. They however, come from different universes and times as is depicted. The only thing consistent with the installments are the in-game elements, like the moogles and chocobos.


Here's the preview of the latest installment:



Too bad it's my turn to take that exam this year. No gaming till it's November!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAFyFCqCEW0

No comments: