Thursday, February 25, 2010

eMorbidity.

I was on my way to my grandmother’s house when a sign caught my eye – 30% percent off on a cremation package, which included a free urn. I normally don’t even look at coffin shops because the very idea of it creeps me out, but when I saw that sign hanging over such a store, I had to laugh.

I was still laughing a few weeks later when I told my barkada about it. Afterwards, though, one of my friends caught me by surprise when she pulled the idea out of the proverbial hat – eCremation. I thought it was a joke, but apparently she wasn’t kidding.

I know about eReunions – my dad had a high school reunion about a year ago, and they’d set up a big screen in one corner to be able to connect to and see their friends abroad who’d also gathered together in one place. I thought that was cute, and sweet. But eCremation? That’s kind of... morbid. For me, at least. I guess if someone was abroad and couldn’t personally bid a loved one good bye, that could serve as some kind of emotional salve.

I guess everything really IS on the internet now.

[end blog no. 11; images by kakarton and =gva, respectively]

No comments: