Monday, February 8, 2010

Warning: Excessive Facebook is harmful to your law studies


Last week, my blockmate said that we could actually spend 24 hours on Facebook, doing nothing but updating our status message. Well, she’s right. I realize how disruptive Facebook has been to my life (i.e., acads) the past few months. I think of the numerous times that I check my account in a day, just to check new updates on my online buddies (as if their lives would undergo some drastic changes in a couple of minutes). And come to think of it, most of these “buddies” are the same people that I encounter everyday in Malcolm. Oftentimes I find myself talking face to face with a blockmate in Winlaw room (or some coffee shop) while at the same time responding to each other’s status messages in Facebook. That’s what you call redundant.

By the way, did I forget to mention the time when Atty. Litong intentionally called me to recite during our OLA component last sem because she caught me not listening? Well, I was too busy posting new pictures on my page. And then just two weeks ago when I unknowingly wasted half a day Facebook-ing, instead of studying for my SPIT and Banking midterms. And I don’t even want to start on the time that I got addicted to Mafia Wars and Word Challenge. Those belong to a different altitude altogether.

All these reminded me of the studies that have been circulating since the youth became tech-savvy and mobile phones became “in”. Reports said that texting impairs the spelling and grammar and that too much time spent in the internet result in poor concentration among school children. I’m not sure about the short attention span issue since I’ve always had difficulty maintaining focus on anything for a long period, but I do notice that I’ve become quite careless of my spelling (that’s why I decided to stop abbreviating the words and sentences in my text messages).

So now I’m resolving to reduce drastically my Facebook-ing time. By “reduce drastically” I mean limiting the time that I check my account to at most three times a day during weekdays and a maximum of five times during weekends. By checking my account I refer to the times that I actually open my Facebook page.

Sigh, I’m beginning to feel Facebook withdrawal symptoms as early as now. I’m tempted to keep my account open for the entire night just to satiate my Facebook appetite. But nope, I’m gonna do this. I wanna think of this as a preparation for my bar review (naks!). And some sort of voluntary regulation, of course. Good luck to me.



Image from www.theitcorner.com
Link: http://www.theitcorner.com/2009/09/22/we-live-in-a-world-with-too-many-distractions-math-takes-focus/

2 comments:

Owen Ricalde said...

i spent almost 3 hours just reading the blogposts of our classmates and commenting to each and everyone of them.

naku, okay lang na ngayon, basta dapat april wala na ito sa sistema muna natin ;)

Jacob P said...

Firstly, thanks for linking to my blog ;)
Secondly, I don't understand something... Why don't you use Facebook mobile? Just subscribe to people that you're interested in, and Facebook will send text messages to you saying that your friend has changed something (i.e. status) Exactly the same way you can update your status or comment on somebody else's. It's all through text message. But of course you better have unlimited text messages (otherwise your bill will be quiet big ;)) I had exactly the same problem. If I saw something interesting in my news feed, I would read the whole thing, and it took a lot of time. But now I just get information that I'm actually interested in. So, try it :)