Thursday, February 11, 2010

On demand is the way to go




I have barely opened my TV this week. And it's not because of the looming SLR deadline. It's just that it seemed to have lost its value for me.

All the TV series I want to watch can easily be streamed to my computer. Movies can be downloaded via torrent. Basketball games can be streamed live. I can even switch from one game to another!

Furthermore, I am not constrained by the TV schedule. I can watch what I want, when I want. And that is definitely an important factor considering that most of the time, I am away from home. I remember when I was a kid, I used to set my VCR to automatically record all my favourite shows so that I don't miss anything in case I come back late from school! Now, I don't have that problem, since everything is just a click away.

With this development in the Internet, there may come a point where the TVs may die, or at least the way they are currently set up. Everyone would eventually want to watch what they want, when they want. There would be no need to wait for until night time to watch your favourite soap operas. You can just stream it and watch it commercial-free!

With the ever increasing available bandwidth for consumers, this future may only be a few years away. TVs would eventually have to evolve, either by changing into an on-demand model, or by being creative and offering something with an added value.

Monch Bacani
02-01003

10th entry

1 comment:

Owen Ricalde said...

dapat may blog entry ako about this lalo after my US trip. yung cable kasi nila dun integrated - tv, telephone and internet. tapos when somebody calls u sa landline, you can see who is calling sa tv (as in may nagpopopout). i stream sa states nung mga episodes through hulu.com. may commercials pa dun every so often. but the freedom it offers the fact that you can view episodes any time, any day, is really convenient. meron pa ngang korean and japanese version ng hulu where you can stream koreanovelas etc.