Thursday, February 11, 2010

What to do when your mom gets gadget lust?


Like a lot of other apple fans, I watched Steve Jobs’ Ipad keynote last week. But what was most memorable to me was my mom’s reaction when I showed her the video of the event.

My mom is what you would call computer-illiterate. She has never used a computer in her life. My family and I had to convince her to switch to a qwerty smartphone last year since she was a slow texter (and she was quite satisfied when she did give it a try – her phone also replaced the ipod nano we gave her a few years back which she used to love). The device genuinely impressed her but as usual her first instinct was to worry about the cost. When we told her that the ipad would be comparable to her cellphone, I could see that she was definitely interested. What made that crystal clear to me was when she asked me about the ipad article in the tech news section of the manila bulletin then kept the article in her room. My mother experiencing gadget lust for the first time in her life! PRICELESS!

The reaction was the same when I showed the keynote to my girlfriend’s mother. My girlfriend’s mom is an obstetrician and also intimidated by computers. It would seem silly that someone who delivers babies and does surgical operations would be afraid of a plastic box but that is the truth (my girlfriend and I have been trying to teach her over the years but she doesn’t even touch the computer unless we’re beside her).

I think people in our generation generally underestimate how difficult and discouraging it is nowadays for someone who does not know how to use a computer. How frustrating it is to ask for help to do the simplest things like writing a letter.

I’m sure there are a lot of other people like my mom out there. I think the baby boomers and the youth are the target markets for the ipad (children and teens using their ipads in school, replacing video game consoles, popularizing ebooks, serving as a portable car accessory, streaming television and other media). I can imagine a day when an intuitive touch-interface will replace the hierarchal file systems and mouse/graphic user interface we’re used to today. The ipad will finally begin to address the digital divide and at the same time allow a new generation to grow up with touch technology.

So what to do when your mom gets gadget? Thank the heavens and hope that the classic children’s mind trick still works: mommy, pahiram yun _____ (ipad) kailangan ko sa pag-aaral.

10th Entry

2 comments:

Owen Ricalde said...

my dad bought his laptop last december. after so many sessions, finally he knows how to skype and use his magic jack. and just last night, i taught him to access his yahoo mail. grabe. nosebleed.

my boyfriend also taught his mom to explore the internet. before, the dad and mom would call each other everyday (the dad was a captain in a cargo ship). but now, they just use skype - better kasi may video.

one way to teach their generation - just tell them they can type or click on anything and if there is something wrong, just call me. i mean, pag ispoonfeed mo kasi sila, mahirap. let them explore. at least just help them take the first step or first leap :)

just guesting/Mark Lim said...

But they might accidently discover my stash of.... videos. haha.

You're right, exploring on their own is probably the best way for them to learn. If I had the money, their very own laptop/ipad would be the perfect gift.