Thursday, February 11, 2010

Cropping the net one file at a time.

by Awi Mayuga (tenth entry)

I haven't been plurking much, so my karma dropped considerably from 90+ to 60+. And the only reason I decided to log into plurk.com was that I wanted to whine that I didn't have a topic for this week's blog post. Apparently, I hit two birds with one stone, because a friend of mine unintentionally gave me an idea for a topic when he plurked a site he's been using for some time now.

I won't be divulging my friend's find (and my latest discovery)* in open country. (One has to protect sources!) Suffice it to say that it works somewhat like torrent search engines. The site is dedicated to searching only rapidshare and megaupload files. If you're a free user of those sites, you know how the waiting time between downloads could be a pain. Piracy has its price, after all. But with torrent sites being hunted by the riot police (the RIA of A, yes?), I would think pirates would snap up every free opportunity. (Or if they're die-hards they could always get premium accounts.)

As for me, since I've semi-retired from pillaging the cyber sea, this would come in handy now and then.

*NOTE: Googling using both "rapidshare" and "megaupload" as keywords will bring up a number of sites similar to this. I won't be surprised if the riot police will be hounding these sites soon. One thing in these sites' favor, though, is that they don't save anything in their servers (at least not that I could discern at first glance), unlike their torrent-search-engine-slash-tracker counterparts.

1 comment:

Owen Ricalde said...

sana ma-iba na ang norm in a few years time. when will they learn na if they get one entity, another entity or most probably a more advanced version will pop out.