Thursday, July 15, 2010

Google Books

When I had research papers due in college, I'd hit the library to look for books and journals. I'd use OPAC to search for titles and call numbers and then skim through the materials I've found to decide which ones should be borrowed. JSTOR was a consistent goldmine for me and I found it very convenient that I could just email the articles to myself or save them in a USB.

My sister, however, faced with the same requirement, merely turned to Google Books. For the late technological bloomers like myself, Google Books is a search engine for electronic copies of resource materials, whose pages can be downloaded as individual files. That means no spending hours in the lib looking for resources, no carrying borrowed dusty books around, and no return dates to worry about. The downside is that some of the materials can be viewed either upto a certain page only or with a few pages intentionally left out.
All it took for my sister to do her preliminary research was to enter a keyword, click on a book, and save the relevant pages, which she did while in bed and in between bites.

I think SLR just got a little less difficult =)

No comments: