Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Invisible Web


The topic deadline for my Supervised Legal Research paper is due in a few days and I have still have no idea of what I’m going to write about. Writing a paper has always been a stressful activity for me. Not only because it is a long and tedious process but mostly because of the review of related literature that I have to engage in.

Being a Psychology major in my undergrad, most of the papers I wrote required numerous reviews of literature. Perhaps I am fortunate that Psychology is a broad area of study. And considering that, during my time, the committee that determined which journals the UP Main Library was going to subscribe to was chaired by a Psychology professor, I was never really short on research materials. However, I have always been frustrated at the number of times I came across the perfect article that can supplement my paper that unfortunately can only be accessed by buying the article…in dollars! Now more than ever, I am preparing myself to be more frustrated as I write my SLR paper. But I am consoled by the fact that I know one thing now that I did not know before: the existence of the Invisible Web, or the Deep Net or Deep Web (but the "Invisible Web" sounds cooler so I’m using that).

The Invisible Web is that part of the web that does not appear in search engines (yes, that is possible). Pages like library database or pages that belong to a network of private organizations are just two of the places in the invisible web. And this discovery excites me since the invisible web apparently contains research materials that can prove to be helpful in doing scholarly work. Hopefully, knowing what I know now, I can gain access to resources which won’t require me to buy the full text before I can see its content. And its times like these that makes me realize that the internet is not just for doing Facebook.


-Gino Paulo O. Uy, Entry #4

No comments: