Saturday, July 24, 2010

Technology Interrupted

As I've mentioned a couple of times on this blog, I'm not very tech-savvy. I still prefer hard copies to soft copies, and I still rely on my pen and paper more than my netbook. These past few weeks, however, have taught me how truly reliant I am on technology.

First, Typhoon Basya caused a metro-wide blackout which left our area without electricity for around three days. Second, as per a customer service assistant I talked to, PLDT's migration to fiber optic cables caused an interruption in our internet service for more than a week. Third, and the one that caused me the most annoyance and inconvenience, is this recurring problem with my mobile phone where Globe can't seem to permanently disable my roaming service causing me to lose my SMS service as soon as my credits go below 25 pesos.

So, although I limit my use of technology to the basics, i.e., Facebook, Y!M, e-mail, i-tunes, MS Office, Plants v. Zombies, and SMS, parts of my life practically were put on hold. Those interruptions in technology that plagued me this past month has made me realize that I'm probably as reliant in technology as the next computer geek. We don't realize it but our way of life is such that it has made modern technology so indispensable.

No comments: