Thursday, July 8, 2010

One with the World

This morning, I found myself awake at 3am, just in time to catch the match between Spain and the Netherlands, but being my lazy self, plus given the fact that I'd only started watching football recently, I couldn't bring myself to look for the remote control and turn the TV on. Luckily, I had my phone which was Wi-Fi enabled. All I had to do was go on twitter, and i practically got a play-by-play from multiple sources. The moment Spain won, four tweets from differently-located sources announcing that immediately came in: "EspaƱaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a la finaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal olEeeeeeeeeeeee," "ESPANA FOR THE FINALSSSSSSSSSSSSSS," "Spain crushes Germany to enter the WorldCup finals," "BIEN ESPAƑA!!! YAY SPAIN!!!"

I found that experience so amusing because two of my "sources," one a close friend, and the other my favorite Spanish singer, would tweet at almost exactly the same time, and pertaining to the same thing. Two people at opposite ends of the globe, watching the same game, at the same time. Sounds like a cheesy telecommunications company ad, doesn't it? But technology allows us to see just how true that is, how connected we are to other people in the globe whom we might never see in our lifetimes. We see that while the world is so huge and so full of diversity, we share so many things, and have so many common experiences. And we see all that in real time. So, while twitter is just another way for us to tell the world what we are doing/thinking/feeling at any moment we are doing/thinking/feeling it, it also reminds us that somewhere in a place we've probably never even heard of, someone else is doing/thinking/feeling just like us.

No comments: