Thursday, July 15, 2010

Just my two cents...

Having experienced blackouts these past few days due to Typhoon Basyang has made me realize how technologically-dependent I have actually become. Technology has always been there to help make our lives easier and it has been integrated in our lives. Most people today have already, intentionally or not, built their lives around technology.  And I think I am one of those who unintentionally have done so.

To illustrate, my personal experience of the blackout has left me somewhat paralyzed with regard to doing my schoolwork. I couldn’t read the assigned cases because I had no access to the Internet. Furthermore, the battery on my laptop was about to be drained because I wasn’t able to charge it beforehand as I wasn’t expecting a power outage to happen. The same thing happened with my cellphone. Aside from the battery issue, the networks were down, and I was unable to contact people to inquire whether or not the deadline for submission of the topic was postponed as well. I was not able to watch the news for announcements, as there was no TV. Even the simplest thing of reading my books became difficult because there were no lights.

There’s a saying that goes, “You never know what you have until you’ve lost it.” Admittedly, I have been taking these things for granted.  Having these gadgets around have made my life easier and I’ve learned to appreciate them more.

No comments: