Saturday, July 17, 2010

IMHO: Technostress is a modern disease that needs to be addressed by schools and employers



So it's a lazy Sunday morning and I was reading on "hot news misappropriation" and how this is an issue in the US--the claim that it infringes property rights such as copyright--since I was intending to write on it for this blog article. As I was reading articles on this, I was also setting up my Yahoo account in Thunderbird and downloading a Youtube video at the same time.

Lo and behold, I cannot find the right server settings for my Yahoo account despite my running YPOPS configuration as found at Yahoo Answers. I was trying to access also my LSG account at Google Apps but for some odd reason, my password doesn't work.

After re-configuring the server settings of Thunderbird twenty-more times, my Dad went out of their room and told me he's restarting the router because he can't access the net. Imagine the stress! I got up, went to the fridge, and gulped down a glass of cold water to refresh my impatience.

I bookmarked the search results on topics I have been researching and typed TechnoStress on my search tab. I opened Wikipedia's link and found this:

[T]echnostress is "...a modern disease of adaptation caused by an inability to cope with the new computer technologies in a healthy manner."


I clicked on links that help manage and cure such disease and found these:

Try this:

Take out a sheet of paper and quickly write down your biggest time wasters. These might include: email and spam sorting, fax machines, too much time on the Internet, too much time to print a report, the list is endless...


Then I read on and created this summary:

a. Create a time schedule
b. Limit your email time
c. Limit your internet time
d. Buy the right equipment
e. Hire techies
f. Take a Techno-Escape


I have deactivated my Facebook for a week and trimmed backlog cases to just 5 as of yesterday. I have created enough folders for my bookmarked sites and decided to read them after I am ready for this week's assignments. I was configuring my Thunderbird because I so want to organize my Yahoo account because, for the longest time, it was non-serviceable. It has an overflowing 17,000+ emails and I can't organize it as fast as I can organize my Gmail account. It frustrates me to find job offers drowned in the Inbox and failing to at least thank the employers for the offers. Hence my desperate attempt to finding that freakin' POP/IMAP server.

I am restarting my laptop after this and get my techno-escape. I won't try to put the links to this blog today. Tomorrow. Promise. Today, I will get more physical hugs to drown this stress and enjoy the sound of the pouring rain while staring at the ceiling.

In my humble opinion, the title of this blog should be considered.

Paulyn Duman
Blog #6

Postscript: I have to pay Yahoo for Thunderbird access.

No comments: