Wednesday, July 21, 2010

More Depth Than 3D

[By now, I'm sure you're all saturated with posts about Christopher Nolan's latest brilliant dark horse, "Inception." But allow me, I beg, to extend one post further (and I promise this is related to ICT).]

I was going through a feature on "Inception" by Laremy Legel and one thing (among 19 other things) he mentioned I couldn't agree with more. "Hey Hollywood, you know what [is] a REALLY immersive storytelling method? An actual story. That's right, the trick is not to manipulate our eyes. The trick is to give us a story with depth."

This was a criticism on the advent of "3D" in cinemas. I'd like to think 3D is a tool for moviemakers to herd the public back in the cinemas, away from the pirated DVD vendors, who can't provide such feature (yet). But with the quality of movies that came out (and pioneered) in 3D, all the visual flare just didn't cut it.

Soon, LCD TVs with 3D capability will be around (Philips has already released theirs) and blue-ray burners will replace DVD burners. If moviemakers wanted to bring the public back in the cinemas, they've got to focus more on the depth of their stories rather than the depth of their visual tricks first.

I've seen Inception twice in the cinemas. It was so brilliant, I didn't mind the cost. I'm even thinking of buying the original DVD once it comes out. When was the last time you bought an original DVD? :)


-Leo Rafael L. Quesada, Entry #6

No comments: