Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Virtual Grocery Store, anyone?


Grocery shopping is something that all of us has experienced in one time or another. When I was a child, I’m was excited for Sundays because it meant grocery-shopping day and I will be able to buy all the stuff that I want – chips, chocolates, candies, etc. As I have grown up, I no longer go with my parents to do the grocery because I find it quite a waste of my now oh-so-precious time. So, whenever I need something, I ask my parents to buy them for me or if the need is urgent I will pass by the convenience stores located all across the metro. It is interesting to note however that prices in these convenience stores (i.e. 7-11, Mini Stop) are around 10% higher than its cost in a regular grocery store. Also, the choices of products are fairly limited to the fast moving items. I guess that's the price we have to pay for “convenience”.

Home Plus is one of the largest chain of grocery stores in South Korea. Think the Korean version of SM Hypermart. With the goal of beating its competitor, E-Mart, in mind, they thought of a cost-effective way of increasing the amount of store locations without having to actually build new stores. And so, they thought of bringing the store to the people by creating a “Virtual Grocery Store”.

“They printed panels of their shelves onto an adhesive and stuck it to the glass in the subway station. They made the display exactly like how it would be in the store. What the consumer had to do was point their smart phones on the product, take a picture of the QR code, and they would be automatically linked to the product on their phone. After they’ve selected all the products the consumer wanted, they just pay for the items in their virtual basket, and it will be delivered to their door when they get home.”

This innovation will certainly revolutionize the way grocery shopping is done in South Korea. By creating these Virtual Grocery Stores and placing them in populated locations like a subway station, they are actually bringing their business closer to the people while putting a premium to the convenience that today’s consumer is clamoring for. This will certainly fit today’s fast-paced lifestyle. Now, you don't need to go to a grocery store, pick up the goods that you want to buy one by one and put them in your cart, then fall in line with the cashier. Consumers can now buy their goods in transit, using their phones and the goods will be delivered to their homes. It’s as simple as that.

I wish we have something like this in the Philippines. Imagine having a Virtual Grocery Store in our MRT and LRT stations. That will certainly save a lot of time for the Filipino consumer. But I guess it is too much to ask right now. First, I don't think we have the technology to support this kind of system. The system first assumes that the consumer has a smartphone that supports this kind of technology, which is something that we can’t say for the average Filipino commuter who uses our mass transits. Second, people are generally afraid of change. The Filipino consumer might still prefer to actually see the product and hold them in their hands before they purchase it. Also, maybe they don't find grocery shopping as an inconvenience the way I do, and hence they wont patronize the innovation. Third, the major players in the grocery store industry should first undertake a cost-benefit analysis before entertaining the thought of implementing such an innovation here in our country. Will their sales actually increase by putting up these Virtual Grocery Stores? Or would its cost be simply too much to outweigh any benefit or convenience to the consumer?

I still hope the Virtual Grocery Store will reach our shores. That would simply be epic.

No comments: