Friday, January 1, 2010

Blind risk.

by desmayoralgo (entry #6)















[I forgot that images add to x-factor points. I just want to share this. LexisNexis is one of the most beautiful things in the world.]

I was chatting with my friend online when she suddenly disappeared. Three minutes later: Sorry, my neighbor switched off his wi-fi, I had to look for my modem.

I laughed at first. And then: Oh, wow. Is that...theft? Is it theft when you're stealing, I don't know...bandwidth? It's so unquantifiable, and no really suffers any damage (to the degree we're familiar with), so no one really cares. One more illustration. Recently I joined this competition that allowed me access to certain research databases -- but only for specific purposes (it came with a warning that should I research out of the scope I should be legitimately researching on, they'd notify the Dean). But how are they gonna monitor what I click on? And would they know if I gave someone else my password? The propensity of violating/observing these rules/suggestions depend on how much blind risk you're willing to take. Because you don't physically see its enforcers. (You just assume that they're there, ready to jump out at you from the back of some MERALCO pillar, like the MMDA.)

Theft takes on a new meaning these days, don't you think?

1 comment:

Darwin S. Ocampo said...

choi loves LexisNexis. bwahahaha