Friday, January 22, 2010

Happy birthday, Guadalupe.

by desmayoralgo (entry #8)


There are two bands I swore on my life to see live before I die. When one of them announced their Asia tour a month and some ago, I seriously considered flying to Singapore to see them play. The announcement that they were coming to Manila went up on Facebook two weeks later (after two of my friends already booked flights out). What I would have spent for a plane ticket went to front and center passes.

And then yesterday, a text message: "Weren't you planning to watch the Killers?" Cold sweat. I knew something had happened. And sitting in school without my laptop and access to Google and with one bar on my cellphone, I felt so powerless. I relied on other people to give me the information I needed. (And it's just amazing how fast this information can be accessed.)

The news broke out on Facebook, Twitter and MTV before an announcement went up on their official website (there's your proof of contract breach through the internet). In thirty minutes, I wanted to sue for moral damages and anxiety. In a couple of hours I could have sued for sleepless night (in the singular). Thing is, they're still playing in Australia. There better be a good reason for this.

[Slashed the last paragraph. Negative publicity edit. If it were my personal blog, fine I wouldn't self-censor. But it isn't.]

No comments: