Thursday, January 28, 2010

I currently have a lamp obsession

I was in Ma'am Rowie Morales's condo unit in Katipunan just the other night. We were preparing for another upcoming competition, and the atmosphere was stressful. Because of this, Ma'am lit her lamp, and the fragrance emanating from it filled the room. I really felt relaxed after such. What really made me curious, however, was the fact that the scent never left the room, and continued to give a relaxed feeling to me and my teammates. This was unlike the ordinary oil burners that I have.

Ma'am told me that the lamp is called a Lampe Berger (pronounced as lamp bershay). Because I am usually in front of my laptop during the past few days, I allotted some of my time to research on the said lamp, and confirm whether the relaxed feeling I got a few days ago was really the result of lighting the said lamp or of some psychological disorder.

According to my research, Lampe Berger purifies the air by destroying odors and air borne bacteria. It increases oxygen levels in the air, and because it is fueled by essential oils that are made from natural botanical extracts, it has an aroma therapeutic capacity.

Probably the most mind-boggling thing on what was said above is how the lamp cleans the air and destroys bacteria. The lamp has an internal mechanism which allows this. As the temperature of the burning wick of the lamp increases, the temperature of the oils inside also increases, making the air pressure within the lampe increase (sucking in air). When the fire of the wick is blown out (as this lamp is only required to be lit for about two minutes), the wick cools down and then decreases the pressure within the lampe (expelling air). The air that is then released is not only fresh, but also fragranced.

As regards the destruction of bacteria, it's a little more technical. Suffice it to say that anions and ozone molecules that are emitted from the burning of fragranced fuel from the lamp come into contact with the bacteria in the room. The bacteria's cell wall, however, is not strong enough to resist the said emissions, and therefore breaks. This causes the death of the said bacteria. A more thorough explanation is available at http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cleaning/msg031136097225.html.

I'm really aiming to buy one of these lamps in the future. Even though it's quite expensive, I hope that it would help my allergic rhinitis. I searched the internet, and it turns out some websites even provide delivery of the said lamps in the Philippines. These are quite cheaper than those previously ones sold, as the patent of the said lamp expired a few years ago, and a lot of imitations of comparable quality are now in the markets.


http://www.hannahcandlesetc.com/store/WsAncillary.asp?ID=5http://www.freewebs.com/lampeberger/http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cleaning/msg031136097225.html

1 comment:

Owen Ricalde said...

parang gusto ko ata ito for bar review. hmmm. ;)