Thursday, January 7, 2010

Eight Entry: The End of My Laptop

My four-year old laptop is on the verge of breaking down. The LCD screen is blurry for some months now. However, since last week, adjusting, shifting and pressing the screen don’t seem to correct the problem. What is more unfortunate is that my SLR will be due in a few weeks, not to mention that I have other papers to do for school such as a petition for certiorari as well as a position paper for OLA, a legal memorandum for my group in Law and Environment, and a reflection paper for Child’s Rights.

What is undeniable is that my law school life, or perhaps everyday life, has been so dependent on technology so much so that my world would stop if one day I would wake up without it. And it’s not as if I use my computer merely to log-in to facebook all the time (well, sometimes I do). Most of the operating time of my laptop is spent on doing school work. Thus, for a law student, a laptop or computer is a necessity. Gone are the days when students have nowhere to go but the library just to be able to access and research a particular law or case. Now, we have the internet, (particularly the top three websites of any law student: lawphil, Wikipedia, and google) as well as our own pirated versions of lex libris or e-library, to do the research work for us with just one click. Moreover, gone are the days when typewriters are the only device one could use to do a paper, when committing a typing mistake was a mortal sin correctible by liquid erasers, or when carbon papers are still needed to make multiple copies of any paper. Now, doing a school project is so much easier thanks to Microsoft Office, correcting any mistake is merely a backspace key away and making multiple copies is part of the printing options. Indeed, a laptop is any law student’s heaven.

My laptop screen is conking out again as I am typing this blog. (Please, let me finish this blog). I am praying very hard that my laptop survive until February, or at least until I can already beg my parents to give me my graduation gift- a spanking new laptop.

(Source: photo:http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/5398074/361056_Full.jpg)

No comments: