Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lawyering through Facebook


As usual, I was obsessing about one of my cases for the Office of Legal Aid during the wee hours of the morning. I had one particular case in my mind that moment, one already for execution. In that case our the client, the petitioner, cannot enforce a judgment in her favor worth about two hundred thousand pesos because the respondent was hiding properties from her. We know it's somewhere in Bulacan, but Bulacan is a big place. Being a student, I don't have the luxury of time to look for such. And then I had a stalker-ish idea: almost everybody has an account in Facebook.


So I typed in the full name of the respondent in my browser. I got about two hundred hits. I typed in some of her work information and added the phrase "at facebook", and voila! Only four hits, three of which were obviously not the person I was looking for. I added the respondent as a friend, and that was that, I now know her real address and even what level of living she has through the pictures she posted herself (luxurious parties, traveling around the world, personal properties she has - in accordance with her comments for the picures). That's what happens with indiscriminate addition of friends in social networks.

It makes you reconsider the existence of your Facebook account, doesn't it?