Friday, January 22, 2010

futureme.org

by Rowena Ricalde (eleventh entry)

My boyfriend posted in his multiply his email to himself four years ago. He used www.futureme.org. He was describing his ordinary day a few months before his graduation from his BS Biochemistry course. Hanging out with his friends, studying for his exam, practicing for a presentation. Simple things yet when he was narrating those things, you know he was reminiscing something he knows would be forgotten in the future. But, you could also feel that with the college years coming to aclose, he knows that he grew up and he was grateful for the things he had and the state where he was in.

And so I tried the same thing. Go to www.futureme.org. Write yourself an email and send it to yourself four or even ten years from now. Like my boyfriend, I am at that junction in my life wherein I am about to graduate and a lot of confusing thoughts cloud my mind. I guess this is an unexpected therapy for me. Write all the things you are currently experiencing and write some of your expectations in the future. Somehow, this is the perfect preparation for the journey I am about to embark into.

Here is my email to myself:

Subject: quarter life crisis

Dear FutureMe,

at around 3 months' time, you are going to graduate law school. in about seven months' time, you are going to take the bar exam. in about a years' time, you are going to start working for a great law firm.

those are the only sure things so far. and i told myself, this is the best that i can hope for. these are the things i know and hopefully will be achieved in a years' time. anything beyond this is unknown.

i am at that point in my life that i know i am better in things other than the law. i love organizing get togethers. i love setting up my own business and watching it grow. i love having time for my nieces and nephew. i love taking care of my boyfriend. i love spending time with my family. i love my friends dearly. life is too short and clearly law was not among the things "i love."

i hope in four years' time, you still feel the same way. simple things in life makes life interesting and worth living. i know you spent almost five years of your life studying something you would not tackle on your own. i sincerely hope within the next four years, you try to do the right things to make your life worth living.

love yourself, take care of your loved ones. make everyday of your life interesting.

more importantly, sana naman kasal ka na in four years' time at may anak na super cute!

until january 23, 2014. byers!

Love,
Owen

No comments: