Thursday, January 28, 2010

Internet Access as a Human Right

This is my topic for my Supervised Legal Research paper this year.

I hope to justify this concept and explore the arguments for and against it.

With the rise of the internet and the power it brings, I believe this will be a hot topic in the future, both local and international.

As my research shows, foreign countries (France, Greece, Estonia, and Finland, in particular) have already held this to be part of the basic rights of an individual.

Of course, Internet Access should be defined and properly identified if it is to be classified as a human right. This is what I hope to achieve in my legal paper this year.

I am aware of the recent push by the UN to make this a fundamental right, in accordance with their call for universal access to basic communication and information services.

I hope to able to justify this in the Philippine setting as well.





- Aaron Ho (9th Entry)

1 comment:

Owen Ricalde said...

siguro kung natuloy yung ZTE NBN deal, magiging possible ito. the government just needs the infrastructure to do this - meaning we need to lay down the cables for this. my techie friends who are doing their MS in micro com engg in UCLA are actually studying this. the technology is here already, it's just a matter of regulation and allocating the resource.