Thursday, January 14, 2010

Help! My mom is on Facebook.

And she has invaded my sphere.

I am notoriously secretive of my online presence to the rest of my family -- perhaps because I am afraid they will never truly understand my tongue-in-cheek humor, inane ramblings and morbid fascination with wicca, astrology, vampires and the afterlife. I'm inherently a reticent person, and only speak out through writing. So my meanderings on my life have been recorded on my blog since 2004, and a few of those get posted on Facebook -- mostly as status updates.

Some people are bothered with incriminating pictures taken and tagged by their friends. Fortunately, I have only a few of them (and they aren't really that incriminating) -- although I would appreciate friends not leaving their photo albums viewable to everyone!

Just recently, I again changed all my Facebook settings -- and removed all unnecessary information that I've posted about myself. Having a friend list of a thousand (thanks to being a gamer), I realized that even such seemingly innocuous details about me just might come back to haunt me later on. So if you haven't done so, I think it's high time for you to review your settings. And if you have, well, it wouldn't hurt to review your settings again.



As for my mom, well, she complains that I still haven't answered her request to be my Farmville neighbor. In fact, that's one of the reasons my senior-citizen mother is on Facebook: her friend convinced her to set up an account so they could be Farmville neighbors. Gawd.

by Awi Mayuga (sixth entry)

2 comments:

Owen Ricalde said...

nakakatakot nga ito. my dad before a few weeks ago could not even touch a mouse or could barely handle a keyboard. and now, because he discovered skype so he can talk to my sisters abroad for free (at may video pa), he is slowly learning the ropes! im praying that it wont go to that level that he have a facebook account. please no!

Jat Tabamo said...

haha. yes, it seems facebook's increasing popularity has made possible what was previously thought of as impossible: our parents learning how to use a computer and worse spending time online, on facebook no less.

my mom who is also in her 60s asked me to create an account for her on facebook mainly because she wants to get updates from my sister who is in the US and also because my sister only gives updates through facebook. the thought of my mom having her own facebook account did not occur to me as weird but the fact that i made sure i made the necessary viewing restrictions on my own account before i made her account, felt a little odd.