Friday, January 1, 2010

Seventh Entry: Starting the Year

My mother believes that whatever you'll do during the first day of the year reflects what you’ll be doing for the rest of the year.

As for me, I did the following this first day of January: Began the day by waking up late after the midnight buena noche. Ate like there’s no tomorrow. Tried in vain to start my SLR, but fell asleep right after reading one journal article. Woke up late for my high school barkada reunion. Went home and ate for the nth time. Thought of my SLR and OLA pleadings, but unfortunately all the thinking did not progress into doing. Sang videoke all night with family and friends.

So much for my New Year resolution to start dieting and stop procrastinating. At least I was happy. And I hope to stay happy for the rest of 2010.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

For the past couple of days, I enjoyed reading Time.com’s year-ender special on the Top 10 Everything of 2009. Of them all, my favorite is:


Top 10 Underreported Stories

#9. Oops! U.S. Nuclear Secrets Are Posted Online


It appears that a highly confidential report on US nuclear sites and programs (with detailed information and maps pinpointing to caches of nuclear fuel!!!) was erroneously posted online by the International Atomic Energy Agency.

One thing I’ve learned about technology is to always double-check whatever information you’ll be posting online or messages you’ll be sending via email or text, as once you’ve pressed “enter” or “send”, the message is as good as read or publicized. Also, these messages are oftentimes permanent and irretrievable, so much as to cause irreparable damage (remember Hayden Kho?). I have been guilty of mis-posting stuff and mis-sending emails or text messages to wrong recipients (oftentimes, to professors who are not supposed to read the message :o ). Well, at least I’m not the only one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy New Year everyone! :)



(To know more about Time.com’s Top 10 Everything, visit: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1945379,00.html. Photos:http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1945379_1944495_1944517,00.html, http://www.saidaonline.com/en/newsgfx/new%20years%20resolutions-saidaonline.jpg)

No comments: