Friday, January 1, 2010

Weapon of Mass Distraction

I never knew what arresting beauty meant ‘til she arrested me with hers. If she read me my rights, I didn’t hear it as I was too mesmerized by her eyes. That same moment, some part of my brain’s CPU hanged and my thoughts were always: her eyes, her lips, her smile…

Things would have been just fine had it not been the “busy season.” The “busy season” is that part of the year when auditing firms get really busy (duh!). Not that we weren’t busy the rest of the year. It was just that during “busy season,” O.T. (overtime) was early and O.N. (overnight) was the norm. There was much work to do and absolute focus was required.

But focusing was a challenge with her around. How could it be easy when she was the first thing I see at the office and my last thoughts for the night (or dawn, usually) were on those dimples that quote her lips? It would be quite difficult doing analytical review procedures when one keeps ending up analyzing the color of her eyes. It was not easy to examine those revenues and expenses when one keeps being drawn to examining her face.

Then, in the midst of the busy season, LAE results were released. I was happy that I passed but was a bit sad when I realized that my powers are too puny for the combined demands of full-time work and law school. I had to choose one.

Leaving her was hard. But I knew that I must sever our ties before I get drowned in her eyes. I guess, law school saved me. (Or so I thought at that time but that’s another story.) I’m much more careful now. I make sure I only get the ugliest, the most hideous or the most boring wallpapers.

1 comment:

bryansanjuan said...

ricky, am i just reading too much poetry in this entry? or is this a pure and simple narrative of your past *exploits*? haha.

sige ka, baka mag-wild si ____ mo when she reads this and subsequently uncovers in facebook incriminating photos during the jhun jhun charity ball!! hahaha.