Thursday, January 21, 2010

Facebook, a public or private space?

Is Facebook a public or private space?

This question has been in my mind ever since last month when I heard of work-related suspensions in other countries due to Employers finding out that their Employees lied to them through social media pages such as Facebook.

Recent events have also brought into light the need to be more careful when posting opinions or reactions in your own social page.

While I think one's Facebook page can be public or private depending on the settings the user chooses, I see that this is not enough to prevent others who are not part of your intended audience from receiving or knowing about your updates.

Perhaps future cases will tackle this all-important issue. I definitely have my own opinions about this, but I think I should craft my position carefully first before posting, to avoid being misinterpreted.

Just a thought.



- Aaron Ho (8th Entry)

1 comment:

Jen Paguntalan said...

Aaron, according to Gina Alajar, it's a private space. The media claimed otherwise. Apparently, some people in law school also think it's part of public space :)