Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Too distracted

I’m 25 years old and yet I’ve the attention span of a 5 year old. Just getting through this blog is a challenge. Already, I’ve checked the bottom of the screen 3 times to check how many more words to go before I reach a 150. I used to be able to go for hours just concentrating on books, cases, readings etc. with no interruptions. Now I’m lucky if I can go an hour without checking my email, People.com, Youtube etc. The Web has literally become my fix – “an addictive electronic narcotic” and it’s affecting my ability to think, focus, and listen attentively to others. Is the internet making us stupid? I’d like to think not, although all evidence seems to point to that conclusion, in my case at least. Maybe I should see how long I can go offline. Go old-school, back to the days of books, papers and pens. Yawn. That’ll be a fun week.

No comments: