Friday, August 27, 2010

Cruel and Unusual

Public transportation around Metro Manila is cruel and unusual punishment. This from a 6-year old commuter who has taken just about any type of public commute in this city.

Tonight, it took me two hours, via the UP Campus Pantranco jeepney, to get from UP to the MRT Quezon Avenue station, which is like what, less than 10 kilometers away? A total waste of good time, energy, and most importantly, diesel. (That's according to the jeepney driver who kept muttering every now and then.) Guess who, or what, the culprits are? Those mystical U-turn slots. I say mystical for while it has been the butt of criticism from the public, environmentalists and highway engineers alike since its conception, it continues to sprout everywhere as if MMDA is thoroughly sold on its efficiency. 

Another good subject of mine, the MRT. The way I see it, the MRT is a jungle. In order to ride the MRT everyday successfully, one has to learn how to push and shove people, completely forgetting the concept of personal space. The polite ones are left eating dust and unable to ride the trains. Every time a jam-packed train would arrive and I have to fight my way through hoards of people just to get inside, I can only think: Damn MRT Administration, why'd you have to make us this way? 

I love the commute, don't get me wrong. But this is one instance perhaps when economics (and stress) won, thus forcing me, FINALLY, to move to an apartment unit closer to UP. No more one-hour daily commutes. No more misadventures riding the jeepney and the MRT. No more cruel and unusual punishment.

No comments: