Thursday, August 5, 2010

iPad for Dad, Not Me

My siblings and I bought my dad an iTouch for Christmas last year so he could play his music in the car. We figured that it was better than an iPod as the screen was bigger and it had other functions as well. However, he does complain that his fingers are too big to type or touch the buttons properly. He was getting annoyed as he kept hitting two buttons or icons at the same time. But he persevered and he seems to be coping well with it now.

Then last week, my best friends and I were eating in Charlie’s one night. We were getting a bit annoyed with the couple in the table beside us because they were so noisy and kept bumping our table. Peeking over the guy’s shoulder, I finally saw why. They were playing some sort of hockey-type game on an iPad, and quite excitedly at that.

Then, I slept over in my cousin’s house a couple of weeks ago and it turns out that he has an iPad too. So I decided to try it out to see what the fuss is all about.

Nothing fantastic. At least for me.

Maybe I’m not techie enough to appreciate it properly but I really was not all that impressed. It just struck as a bigger version of the iTouch. Better for watching movies and videos, and reading e-books, but that seems to be about it. I might as well just bring my laptop. And the guys have said that it isn’t all that portable for them because they usually don’t bring a bag with them.

But I did notice that the touch keyboard was much, much bigger. There would be no chance of pressing two keys at the same time. Perfect for my dad. I just hope that we won't have to buy him one of these for Christmas this year because it's WAY out of our budget. Hehehe

No comments: