Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Cyber Catfight

I confess...I was once engaged in a "cyber word war" in Friendster, back when it was still very popular. It was harsh, it was rotten but more than anything, it was petty. It was with a girl I barely knew, I didn't have her contact number, I didn't know where she lived, I don't even know how it started. Friendster was our only way of "communicating". How did it work? You know the drill. I'd post something nasty about her in my profile and she'd respond with something more degrading, of course. This would “inspire” me to concoct comebacks that were abominable and so on. Everyday, I checked out my site and hers just to make sure I didn’t miss a new post she might have added. There was no way I would throw in the towel first.

Now I realize cyber word wars are actually less complicated than actual girl-to-girl collisions. No screaming, no hair-pulling, no oral name-calling. More importantly, they could end as soon as you realize the stupidity you’ve gotten yourself into. Don’t view the profile, change your settings to private or delete your account. And it’s so easy to forget all the brainless activity you’ve just allowed yourself to do. Just click Delete or Edit. So much for all the emotional trouble.

No comments: