Thursday, January 22, 2009

Only 15 Minutes Before Deadline: Screw Giving This Piece a Proper Title

I love downloading media files from iTunes. The iTunes store has so much music and audiobooks and movies for sale that it will make your head spin. So I periodically mooch off generous relatives and convince them to gift me with an iTunes gift certificate from time to time.

I just bought a new laptop and was really excited about loading all my hard-earned music into it. Lo and behold, I couldn’t play some of my music on my new laptop because apparently, the account I was using had already reached the limit of authorized machines. An iTunes account allows you to play and share the music you bought to five computers. Only. As I am on my fifth Mac, and earlier in the day, I allowed my significant other to use my iTunes account, I couldn’t authorize my new baby to play my old music. If I had known that my love and generosity would later backfire on me, I should’ve let the significant other listen to his own (horrible) music.

I cursed at the genius named Steve Jobs and his people, for making a policy such as this. Thinking about my property rights, I thought, “I bought the music, I should be able to listen to it on every machine I like”, but they’ve limited it to five. How did they come up with that number anyway?

Before I lost my cool, I fiddled around some more and found an option to deauthorize all previously authorized computers. I clicked on that option, hoping that my significant other would never realize that I have divorced him from my digital realm.

No comments: