Thursday, January 22, 2009

ME AND RAGNAROK ONLINE

One of the biggest influences that I had during my undergraduate years was my involvement in the game called Ragnarok Online. It was through the game that I had met people that I wouldn't have known otherwise.

I have witnessed several hackings in progress. We would talk to our friends’ characters and when they sound weird, we texted our friends to confirm if they were really the ones piloting. If not, we would try to keep the hacker busy until our friend can do some countermeasures, e.g. changing passwords. Sometimes, we’re successful and sometimes we aren’t.

For those times that an acquaintance’s account does get hacked, no one bothers to report it to the NBI. It would just be an increased hassle and it will result to nothing. We knew we would only be reporting to people who probably knew less about using a computer and would also probably care less.

Without making the process of complaining better, and without making the NBI more credible in actually knowing what to do in those cases, a lot of hackers and crackers would be able to get away with more. And there’s nothing that can be done except look.

No comments: