Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Cybersquatting (part 2)

In my last installment I said that cybersquatting usually targets trademarks. However, I recently discovered that even names of people are used as domain names in an attempt to get those concerned to buy back the use of their personal names.

For example, my brother Andrew has a comic called “Kare Kare Komiks” found in “The Chemistry Set” (http://www.chemsetcomics.com). Every week you’ll find new posts for your reading pleasure. Interestingly enough, he discovered that after a few installments a site was created called Kare Kare Komiks with absolutely no relation with his comic. In addition, he discovered that a site called “AndrewDrilon” had also been created.

I suppose that this point in time, he doesn’t see the need to hunt down these cybersquatters and buy back his name or comic’s name. Which leads me to wonder how much these cybersquatters think they can gain by “impersonating” my brother on the internet. At the same time, I wonder whether there will be a price difference between now and the future in the event that my brother chooses to “buy back” his name and whether by that time he’ll have to resort to legal action in order to protect his rights.

No comments: