Thursday, January 15, 2009

To Juan or To Shankar? That is the Question

Thomas Friedman in his book 'The World Is Flat' talks about how labor in many industries is outsourced. Just when he thought himself lucky for being into journalism, an industry where labor cannot easily be outsourced, he discovers facts to the contrary. Reuters uses manpower from Bangalore, India. Workers there are paid lower salaries but produce equally efficient output. A wave of panic swept through me, albeit momentarily. What if legal services are outsourced? Will that mean less job opportunities for me? My panic eventually abated. I calmed down because I realized, if that were to happen, the Philippines could even benefit from it. Lawyers in the Philippines, numerous as they are, can provide services to multinational companies. What if, however, it’s cheaper to hire lawyers from say, India or China (where everything else is cheaper)? Would people soon be saying, "Hello Shankar I want to divorce my wife, can you help me?" Again, I relaxed. There’s a reason why I didn’t become a mathematician, aside from the fact that I cry at the sight of numbers. Law, unlike math or engineering principles is not universal. It differs from country to country and it takes time to master. I’ve been in law school for years and I sure am far from having mastered it. I can’t really say that’s a good thing because I’m supposed to take the bar next year. Again I panic but I begin breathing again. At least for now..

1 comment:

Raymond Roque said...

you need not worry as long as there's that provision in the Constitution that says that only Filipinos can practice profession in the Philippines.