Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mac For Keeps

Reading Melissa’s post, "Of Macs and iWoman," I just realized that I, too, have been held captive by Mac. I used to find my brother’s loyalty to the brand a bit strange – insisting that he won’t buy me a laptop unless it’s a Mac. Back then, I really didn’t care what kind of laptop I got for as long as I can use it for typing and checking the Net. Admittedly, it certainly helped that the Mac looked pretty chic. I had no issues with ditching my desktop for a laptop with a different brand -- I thought to myself, I have never kept a personal relationship with my computer and I’m not about to now. But three years into my iBook, silly as it may seem, I have become part of the cult.

It hasn’t exactly been all good. Some programs do not run on Mac, one of which is E-lib. And so, sans a photocopy of a certain case and not finding it online, I have had to resort to mendicancy and rely on the benevolence of my classmates to e-mail me the case. I’m a sucker for those games you can download for free. Unfortunately, a lot of the games also don’t have a version for Mac. In addition, we had to pay extra to purchase the Microsoft Office software. Despite these hassles, I know that I could never buy a different brand again. It has taken the meaning of a personal computer to a wholly different level.

All of us in the family have Macs. I felt oddly outraged when my boyfriend still bought a different brand. The Mac spell has been cast on us for different reasons. My sister who works for a design firm swears by its functionality. My brother, a professional photographer, says it’s absolutely reliable for editing and making videos. Fashionistas like its cool, sleek look, and that it never goes out of style. Since patience is not my virtue, I appreciate that its simple and fast. How a mass-produced machine has made millions of users feel like they are carrying on a relationship with their respective computers is something I am yet to understand. It must be love.

2 comments:

Charmian Lim said...

I understand the MacLovin'. It's stable, virus-free and very easy to use. My father, the technophobe, didn't have much trouble familiarizing himself with the interface. And well, yeah, it does look really sexy/cool.

Admittedly, there are some things missing (like E-Lib, but then there's lawphil.net for that), but the benefits far outweigh the minor setbacks.

I am on my third Mac. These days I am considering getting a newer laptop. A choice is between going back to PC, which means I can play Civilization again, or getting a Mac once again, which means I'll never have to worry about finding a ride to the nearest service center for another three years.

Angela de Guzman said...

Mac really fosters that sense of community. My friend/seatmate just got a PowerBook and i felt absolutely elated. It's not just the marketing of Mac, right? It really is a good product and they know it.